[Scummvm-devel] Windows experience

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 24 23:38:16 CET 2012

On 25/01/2012 2:36 AM, Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
> Thanks for the activity on the Windows save game location. I've seen a lot of
> talk on IRC and a few commits, but could someone summarize the current status
> of the savegame path, including the current thoughts on migration from old to
> new? (To ensure critical ideas don't stay hidden in IRC logs.)

The new saved game defaults are listed in section 6.0 of the README:
Windows Vista/7: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\Saved games\
Windows 2000/XP: \Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\ScummVM\Saved games\
Windows NT4: <windir>\Profiles\username\Application Data\ScummVM\Saved
games\
Windows 95/98/ME are not effected by the changes.

Automatic migration is difficult, since we can't we can't force the
migration (i.e. ScummVM might be on USB drive), can't be sure when
migration is required, and need to avoid migration been triggered
multiple times. The saved games were previously stored with ScummVM, and
we can't be sure of UAC status or write permissions. So it is safer to
copy over files, rather than move files to the new location.

I added a batch file (migration.bat) which will copy any saved games
found in old default location, to the new default location. An exclusion
list (migration.txt) is used, to avoid coping over any ScummVM related
files.

The Windows installer adds an extra 'Saved Games' section of Start Menu
only under Windows NT4 onwards, which offers short cuts to old and new
default location for saved games, along with the migration script.

So people need to manually choose to migrate their saved games at this
stage, but the extra Start Menu items should make sure people can still
locate where there saved games are located.