[Scummvm-devel] Windows experience

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 26 00:34:43 CET 2012

On 26/01/2012 9:09 AM, Johannes Schickel wrote:
> I would still love to see the save games in a easily accessable path by
> default, i.e. unlike a subdir of %APPDATA%, since %APPDATA% does not
> show in the explorer by default. That makes it even easier for users to
> copy over the save files, despite us having links to the save game
> directory.

Actually accessing that area under Windows 2000/XP is as simple as
running '%APPDATA%'. Or people could just enable hidden files, under the
Folder Options of Windows Explorer. We could add these notes to the
README file, to help people too.

The links on the Start Menu are still the easiest method for any
inexperienced users to access the saved games area. Even if the default
saved game directory, was not under a hidden area.

> As several people pointed out in IRC, our forums and on this mailing
> list starting with Vista (or maybe only 7, can't remember right now)
> Windows offers a "%USERPROFILE%/Saved Games" directory for exactly this.
> So personally I think we should consider taking advantage of that, maybe
> even using the same path for NT/2k/XP.

The standard location for saved games under Windows Vista/7 was
mentioned throughout the previous discussion, but not that fact it was
no longer a hidden area.

It isn't worth creating a new "%USERPROFILE%/Saved Games" section under
Windows NT4/2000/XP, when it will only be used by a single program.

I'm against changing the default save games directory again, since these
changes have already been made to ScummVM. We will have users who are
using the new save games directory, which would require further migration.