[Scummvm-devel] DOC translation problems

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 21:10:22 CET 2012

On 01/30/2012 04:47 PM, Simon Sawatzki wrote:

> Is that pure speculation or do you have evidence for that? Because my opinion is different: Normally, users are eager to get a programme working as soon as possible. So they do first start and try it out. If there are problems, they will open a help file and look for keywords that matches their problem best or for a section to get started (which is easy to find in the README).
>     If you have evidence that users rather read QuickStart files than big README's, you are invited to show me evidence. I'm open to let me convince of the opposite. If you have for example some forum postings saying "I read in the QuickStart [...]", please let me know.

I guess most questions in the forum don't mention any documentation at
all, so even if you don't find anything "I read in the QuickStart" that
doesn't really give you any good evidence whether people checked it or
not. Personally I have the feeling that it's rather like that people
point people asking questions to our README, since the QuickStart file
isn't really in anybodies mind yet, i.e. it just lacks any acceptence as
documentation so far.

Apart it might be right that right now the QuickStart file was just
intended for translators for doing a quick translation of maybe
important sections of the README. At any rate a much better idea would
be what Kirben has in mind, i.e. make QuickStart a file where all the
basic information you need can be found in a brief manner and point to
our README, in case the user has more advanced questions and/or does not
find anything in QuickStart.

Last but not least we should really rename the QuickStart file to
QUICKSTART for consistency with our other documentation files, which are
all uppercase. Personally I would furthermore have the same naming rule
on all the translated documentation files too.

// Johannes