[Scummvm-devel] GSoC 2012 - Call for tasks and for mentors

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:28:53 CET 2012

On 03/04/2012 08:08 AM, D G Turner wrote:
>    I'd be happy to help as a co-mentor i.e. answer questions, point
>    students towards right documentation or source file, and so as I
>    did this last year.
>
>    But I'd be hesitant to sign up as an "official" Mentor unless it
>    was somewhat clearer what kind of commitment this entailed.
>
>    The GSoC documentation says about 5 hours per week in time, but I
>    mainly mean what is expected from the Mentors, other than the kind
>    of assistance that we give other developers on the team.

In reality being a mentor means you are responsible for your student in
terms of getting him into our community, checking his progress, helping
him with questions he has about our source code, our workflow etc. and
of course for filing the midterm and final evaluations (i.e. letting him
pass or not).

You might very well point your students to other people, when he has
questions or the like, but you are still responsible to help as best as
you can, when nobody else in the team has time/knowledge about that.

// Johannes