[Scummvm-devel] ATTN: Proposed layout for git repository

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 20:15:25 CEST 2012

On 09/23/2012 06:33 PM, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:

 > I started work on finally moving all of our repositories to github.

Nice! Finally no more strange error messages when typing "git commit" in
the web repo ;-).

> What do you think about the proposed schema?

There's a few things I am wondering about. First of all: Do we really
need to convert obsolete repos? Here engine-data and docs come to mind
first. engine-data itself would've been a better candidate to be merged
with our main sources, since the datafiles needed to be kept in sync
with that. So I don't see any real reason to convert that to a git repo.
For docs I also don't see why we would need it anymore. It has not been
touched in ages and there seems no plan for it either. Our manual
attempt is maintained on our wiki these days. So I would propose to just
ignore these SVN modules.

Speaking about ScummEX. Seeing that it has been a sub-project I would
rather let it have its own repo. Maybe even creating its own "project",
if there's any more interest in working on it further.

Last but not least the differentation between "web" and "sites". I think
all are bascially "sites". So I was wondering why we keep them
separated. Then I thought it might be because it's difficult to update
the website from sf.net otherwise, since it would be more complicated
than simply having a clone of the repo on the webserver and pulling the
latest changes. But this brought me to the question: Will this be any
easier for the other sites we have? So here I would like to see some
further ideas on how that is handled before I can make a real decision.

> Do we need scummvm- prefix to all repos? I think we don't.

I think we should keep the scummvm- prefix. This is a) consistent with
what we did for our tools repo and b) it might affect sorting of our
repos in our ScummVM organization view on github (i.e. assure our main
repo is first). I'm not sure about "b" so a clarification here would be
nice.

// Johannes