[Scummvm-devel] Bringing our Core Code to another Level?

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 01:14:43 CEST 2013

 On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM, James Lacey <jamlacey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Matt said he saw no benefit having a core library. In the strictest sense,
> that might be true, since the benefits are hypothetical right now. But I
> also think that view is a little short-sighted. I wasn't present for the
> discussion, but IMO it would have been a shame to use the same argument to
> block the inclusion of non-SCUMM adventure games way back when. Making it
> easier for people to contribute and easier for people to work on the games
> they want to work on, even if not adventure games, could pay dividends.
> ScummVM could stay strictly about 2D adventure games, but get the benefit of
> more people working on a variety of projects contributing back to its core.
I said I saw ScummVM having no benefit to moving its core out to a
separate repo. Don't twist my words. That doesn't mean that others
won't find a benefit; but that's all hypothetical.

Also, we never said we would make a library out of the ScummVM core.
Johannes' original mail was just about splitting it off to an
unbranded project.

-Matt