[Scummvm-devel] We need to upgrade our forums

D G Turner d.g.turner at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 28 00:06:49 CET 2013

Arnaud,
  I do agree that asking the "real" users to connect to IRC and ask
  for a passphrase is a larger hurdle than a basic question, but I
  don't think it is "too much" or I would not have done it.

  This was based on the assumption about the difference between a
  "real" user and a spammer / spambot registering on the forum.

  The "real" user is a ScummVM point and click adventure game fan...
  thus they are used to a bit of patience, thought and puzzle solving,
  whereas the spammer is impatient and probably not a fan.

  Similarly the profile of a spambot is patient, but dumb and automated.

  It was also, as my first e-mail said an "interim plan" and also an
  experiment to see if the textual confirmation question was hacked.

  But anyway as per my previous mail to Eugene / scummvm-devel,
  I agree this has not made any difference as it is likely that TC has
  been totally hacked in phpBB2 and thus have reverted to a basic
  question anyway.
Thanks,
David Turner