[Scummvm-devel] CGE / Soltys: Issue with the ALT key on misc platforms

Arnaud Boutonné strangerke at scummvm.org
Sat Feb 23 18:08:02 CET 2013

Dear team,

I thought I already sent a mail on -devel about that, then clone2727 to
prove me I was wrong.

In Soltys (CGE engine), there's a puzzle requiring the user to
simultaneously press the ALT key and to click on an object in the game.
At this time, I have no solutions to work around this. In my humble
opinion, using the virtual keyboard and click in the game is not possible
on several platforms

The solution I was about to push is a workaround based on the OS defined:
#if defined(WIN32) || defined(UNIX) || defined(MACOSX) || defined(MOTOEZX)
|| defined(LINUPY) || defined(LINUXMOTO_SDL)
if (spr->_ref == 1 && _keyboard->_keyAlt) {
#else
if (spr->_ref == 1 && _gameCase2Cpt > 1) {
#endif

Another solution suggested by clone2727 is to use the keymapper, but I'm
not sure it's working in all case (typically, when the virtual keyboard is
involved)

The puzzle itself is not fascinating, I don't think it's a great loss to
partially skip the scene when the ALT key is not available.
The puzzle consist of winning a dice game against 2 guys and a goat. You
get an obscure hint about the alt key after playing dice 5 times,
then it gives a more clear hint (always the same) after 10, 15, 20, 25 and
30 tries, then it gives no more clue.

The workaround makes Soltys win the game on the 2nd try.

I'd like your opinion about this problematic, provided you have one.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Arnaud