[Scummvm-devel] RFC: Touch interface for ScummVM

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 26 12:37:22 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 02:28:30AM -0700, Matt Lewandowsky wrote:
> Additionally, I’m curious what screen resolutions and aspect ratios are being targeted by this. Considering the wide spectrum of platform support by ScummVM, I foresee a need to at least think about touch screens which range from as low-resolution as 1024 pixels wide and up to resolutions we can’t even envision as plausible right now.

To repeat (somewhat) the discussion from IRC:

High-end Android phones are usually approximately 1920x1080/1280x720. Note
that the retina iPad is 2048x1536 too, and the iPhone 5 is 1136x640 (says
wikipedia). These kind of resolutions (and higher) are the future, so we
should really target them.

Common mid-range devices are 800x480/854x48, 960x540, 960x640. We should
really target these too, they're the majority of the market.

Low-range devices are usually 320x240 or 480x320. There's a lot of both,
but it's probably silly trying to make things work nicely at 320x240..

And of course there's plenty of devices with different weird resolutions!

Trying to target each of these groups *separately* seems crazy, we'll
never keep them up-to-date and so we should really have things scale
automatically much as possible, imo.

Thoughts from anyone else?

- Alyssa