[Scummvm-devel] RFC: Touch interface for ScummVM

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 17:39:15 CEST 2013

On 07/26/2013 04:47 PM, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:

>     It would be cool if we could get some GUI design which matches
>     that. For
>     example, maybe having less "iconic"/"sketchy" (i.e. more colors) and
>     more pixelated icons might be a cool aspect (just like Faster Than
>     Light
>     [1], for example, partly uses big pixelated fonts for some retro
>     look).
>
> I have an impression that we left that with Classic mode back in 2005,
> and our Modern gui is no way is pixelated. I am for going modern
> direction, especially since we're supporting games with modern GUI and
> modern hi-color graphics.

I think you missed my point, so let me explain it again. See, I'm not
saying we should do an old fashioned design (like for example our
classic theme). I'm saying we should make a modern design which has a
connection to our project and thus isn't simply some generic modern
design. The current sketch really feels like that to me, i.e. it looks
simply like a generic application following the Metro design of Windows
8. I'm not saying that this is bad per se, but it feels "boring" in my
opinion, there is no connection between our project origin/roots/goals
and the visualization. Of course, this is also not really present in our
current GUI. However, that does *not* mean that our current GUI is good
in that aspect (after all, we are trying to be better this time,
right?). I think such a visual reference gives the user some impression
that we put special care/thought/love into our GUI and overall project.
The current sketch looks like we have some nice clean well-designed GUI
based on currently popular design principles, but it's really nothing
special IMHO.

(Also, I think we don't support any games with such a modern UI design
as these touchscreen GUIs and it's really not our core part for which
ScummVM is known, thus I really cannot agree with your last point.)

Greetings,
Johannes