[Scummvm-devel] Google Doc Sprint Summit v3

Arnaud Boutonné strangerke at scummvm.org
Tue Jul 30 12:40:30 CEST 2013

Dear team,

We are currently considering the possibility to register ScummVM for the
Google
Doc Sprint Summit 2013 (3rd edition), which will occur October 14-18 at
Mountain View.

Google describes the summit the following way:

> The GSoC Doc Camp is a place for free software communities to meet, work

on creating a book for their project, attract new people to their efforts,
> and share

their documentation experiences. The camp aims to improve free documentation

materials and skills in free software projects and individuals and help
> form the

identity of the emergent free documentation sector.
> The Doc Camp will consist of 2 major components - an unconference and

2-4 short (3 day) Book Sprints to produce books for the selected projects.
> The unconference will explore topics proposed by the participants. Any
> topic on

free documentation of free software can be proposed for discussion during
> the event.
> Each Book Sprint will bring together 4-5 individuals to produce a book on
> a specific

free software project. All participants of the Doc Camp must attend a
> sprint. The

books will be launched online in print and ebook formats on the final day
> of the event.

Based on the feedback available from the previous years, each Book Sprint
is exhausting with
13h+/day working on documentation, but the result is a really looking
great, professional, manual.

Once in a while, someone mentions that we need a consolidated user guide.
This is a unique
opportunity to reach this objective, and have a multi-format user guide for
the future.

But first, we of course need to register as an organization and get
selected by Google.

In order to do so, we ideally need 3 to 5 people interested and ready to
invest a whole week on
that project. Google will cover accommodation and food, and partial/full
travel costs.

I'm personally ready to put my energy on that. I'm also willing to discuss
about that as much as
possible, but we only have 9 days left to complete the registration form so
most likely most
discussion will occur after the registration, if we decide to go for it.

I've put all the questions on our wiki to work on it if enough people are
interested to go there.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Doc_Sprint/Application/2013

You'll find the original page here:
https://sites.google.com/a/google.com/doc-sprint-v-3-0/
Please do not start the registration process on your own :)

So. Are you tempted by this new adventure?

Best regards,
Arnaud