[Scummvm-devel] How to deal with locale-related problems?

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Sun Oct 27 11:56:20 CET 2013

Hi,

I was wondering how we should deal with locale-related problems. I
noticed yesterday that Zork Nemesis fails pretty badly on my computer
unless I mess with LC_NUMERIC, and that made me wonder if we have
similar problems lurking in more stable parts of ScummVM.

(I've filed a bug report about the problem in general. See #3615148.)

Should we set the locale ScummVM uses explicitly (if so, we would have
to consider the effects on our getSystemLanguage() function, and whether
or not this can even be done for all supported platforms), or should we
introduce our own locale-independent functions? (Which functions would
that be anyway? I'm guessing sscanf(), sprintf(), atof() and any related
functions. Indirectly, that would also take care of our own
String::format() and String::vformat() as well.)

Are there tools to help look for these kinds of problems?

Torbjörn Andersson