[Scummvm-devel] How to package fonts for an engine

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Mon Sep 23 01:01:45 CEST 2013

On 22 Sep 2013, at 23:33, Adrian Astley <adastley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> In most of the releases of Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor, there are no font files provided. It was assumed that the fonts could be found on the users operating system. Since we can not assume that I'm faced with a delima of what to use for fonts. So far I've come up with two solutions:
> Ask the user to acquire the fonts and put them in a specific folder
You don't say which fonts thy are and if they are free of not, but considering the rest of your email I will assume they are not free. In such a case I don't think this is a good idea to rely on the user providing them. If they are present on the system if might be good to pick them though (although if we want to do that without the need for the user to copy them with the game files, this might mean adding for example a way to get the system font path in OSystem or adding a font path in the options and having a system dependant default, and I am not sure this is worth it, unless other games would benefit from it too).

> Supply royalty-free replacements for the fonts
That sounds like a sound idea. I can see two ways to do that though: either like game data files, i.e. bundled with ScummVM, or like extras files like the cutscenes of the BS games. I would favour the second option, especially if we can use the original fonts when they are present on the system.

Thierry