[Scummvm-devel] I Have No Mouth - Character disappears on loading a save

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 00:41:58 CEST 2014

On 08/15/2014 12:35 AM, D G Turner wrote:
> Well, that is a new feature on me! :)
>
> I had always thought the id field was immutable in the GUI.
>
> And
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual/Configuring_a_game_in_ScummVM
> doesn't really cover changing it.

It seems to be mentioned here, right at the start:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual/Configuring_a_game_in_ScummVM#Game_tab
However, it's not making clear that this might affect savegame naming.
But since it makes it clear that you can launch the game from command
line by using that ID, it should be clear to developers that it's the
target name.

> Is there a specific reason for allowing the user to change the
> default id detected?

If you have multiple entries with the same generated target name we auto
append numbers to distinguish them. You can, for example, use the
possibility to name them yourself to give it more meaningful names. This
is useful when you have multiple versions of the same game. Also, for
users using ScummVM for a long time this can be convenient in case you
start a new config, but want to use old savegames (we, for example, had
changed in the past default target names, target name generation schema
etc.). Then, you can just give it the old target name and it will still
pick up the old savegames.

But in general, it's really just to be able to use whatever name scheme
you want to use. It's not like this is any issue for us...

// Johannes