[Scummvm-devel] consistent naming of a game state

Ben Castricum scummvm at bencastricum.nl
Tue Aug 19 13:22:32 CEST 2014

While translating ScummVM I noticed that quite a lot lines are about
saving/loading a game state. And there seems to some diversity about how
such a thing is called. In the scummvm.pot file I could find these :

- game
- game state
- gamestate
- save
- SAVE game
- save game
- savegame(s)
- savefile(s)
- save state
- savestate

It would help the translators if a consistent name would be used. I can
imagine not all can be replaced because some lines are literally taken
from a game and for authenticity reasons those should remain as is. But
in all other cases it would save some work if just one name would be
used. It may also help to improve the general look/feel of ScummVM.

Personally I would choose "gamestate" because (IMHO) that really defines
what it is, and the English language seems to concatenate words like
this into a single word. Also "save the gamestate?" sounds better than
"save the savegame?". But it would already help if there would be just
one name.

Any thoughts from the devs on this subject?

Regards,
Ben