[Scummvm-devel] Fully localisation of the GUI

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Sun Dec 7 23:51:24 CET 2014

The original emails mentioned two points:
- Translating game titles.
- Translating the language in the game description.

Regarding translating game titles I agree with Johannes and Tobia that if we translate the game title it should use the language of the detected game version, not the GUI language. This poses a technical issue though as there is no guarantee that the charset for the currently selected GUI language has the characters to display the translated game title, which may be in a different language. As long as we stick with 8 bits charsets for the GUI this will be an issue.

The sorting in the game list is a good point though. I suppose we could use a sorting key that is different from the displayed text (e.g. use the untranslated text for sorting) but that might be a bit strange for the user as the list would not appear to be alphabetically sorted for non-English titles.

My opinion is not as well defined for the language. It seems quite natural to me to translate the language popup selector in the game options GUI. And I have no strong objections either in translation the language in the game description. But then we might want to also translate the rest of the description fields (e.g. "Floppy", "256 colors" for some cine and cruise games) otherwise it would look strange if it was only partially translated.

And there is an issue with translating the descriptions during detection that I mentioned on the pull request (when switching to a different language later on the GUI may not be able to display the description that was translated in a different language when the game was detected). Translation of the description not when the game is detected but when it is displayed in the list might be better (but also more complicated to achieve).

Thierry / Criezy

PS: There is something else that is not translated: the about dialog. There have been talk of translating part of it but this was not done yet, mostly due to lack of time on my side.