[Scummvm-devel] Engine merges

Paul Gilbert paulfgilbert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 04:26:36 CET 2014

Hey all,

As the "man in the middle", so to speak, I'd like to throw in my own
thoughts on the matter. Firstly, as per previous email, I thought I'd
satisfied the requirements for merging, although this seems not to be
strictly the case, and though I would dispute that the Access engine was
merged "right in the middle" of discussion, that there is dissent seems
indicative that the rules may need tightening. The question, which wjp is
rightly saying, is how best to handle future engine merges.

I'd like to throw in a couple of suggestions, particularly since the last
point on the Wiki was subject to my own misunderstanding:
* Increase the minimum time to two weeks. This will give more time for
anybody to review the code. As pointed out, pull requests are a good place
to raise objections, and give constructive criticism on the code, so it
would make sense to give greater leeway for any responses.
* Rather than the current last rule (re approval), which would require
chasing down leads for approval, simply shift final merger duty to any core
team member. That way, with an increased minimum review time, anyone who
wants to comment would rightly be expected to have commented by then; any
member that hasn't even bothered to make a comment by the end of the period
will then automatically assumed to be in favor. And with the core team
member having merged it, they're effectively accepting the engine into
master on behalf of the whole team, and giving the decision that they
believe all active suggestions, corrections, etc. have been resolved.

Paul.