[Scummvm-devel] Device capabilities

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:59:00 CET 2014

On 03/15/2014 04:36 PM, D G Turner wrote:
> Johannes,
>    I do agree that it is a bit more than just defining a generic
>    define for the preprocessor i.e. PLATFORM_HAS_MOUSE ?
>
>    But there is a problem with platforms which _could_ have a mouse.

My idea would be similar to dreammaster's and simply use a define
"PLATFORM_HAS_NO_MOUSE" (or similarly named) which enables code which
doesn't rely on the precision/mouse specifics and define that for all
platforms where no mouse *might* be present/we don't require a mouse. In
general reporting absense of a mouse should give us less problems than
reporting presense. The reason is that the code path for "no mouse
present" should also work with a mouse.

What I don't like about having both supported is that I find it
confusing if input handling would suddenly change depending on whether
you plug in a mouse or not.

Last but not least, in the course of the discussion it seems we have two
different places at hand where any of this is really relevant. So, in
conformance with the KISS-principle [1] it seems overly complicated to
come up with some API to handle this and adapt all ports to implement it
etc.

Greetings,
Johannes

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle