[Scummvm-devel] Compiling a new build of ScummVM for PS2 question.

D G Turner d.g.turner at ntlworld.com
Mon May 25 05:32:23 CEST 2015

OMightyBuggy,
  As the PS2 porter does not seem to be responding currently, I thought
  I should provide some helpful pointers to allow you to compile a new
  PS2 build and perhaps help debug any issues with current code.

  This is partly as I am one of the buildbot maintainers.

  Firstly, the nightly development (v1.8.0git) and stable (v1.7.0)
  builds for PS2 can be found here:
  http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

  Please test with these and let us know whether these works correctly
  for you. If not, I can still use the toolchain there to try a v1.5.0
  build and a replicated v1.4.1 to check if this is a code regression or
  a toolchain / library breakage.

  Apart from this, I assume that you are following:
  http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compiling_ScummVM/PlayStation_2

  This appears to be significantly outdated and refers to svn.ps2dev.org
  which appears to be offline. The new location for this code is at
  Github as various repositories: https://github.com/ps2dev

  The code there should allow you to build a toolchain from source
  and contains patched version of various libraries as:
  https://github.com/ps2dev/ps2sdk-ports

  However, this does not contain SJPCM or Tremor, which the compilation
  page suggests you e-mail the maintainer for :/

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compiling_ScummVM/PlayStation_2#d._Nearly_there.21_Now_we_still_need_some_extra_libs_which_are_not_provided_with_default_SDK:

  On a side note, these kind of patches should be checked into some
  repository on Github or otherwise made available in future.

  Tremor which is the integer code version of Ogg Vorbis is not an issue
  as it is available from here, but not in a specific PS2 optimised
  version:
  https://wiki.xiph.org/Tremor

  Based on the background information from various Wikipedia pages:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine

  The PS2 uses a MIPS instruction set and as the Tremor page notes
  there are no specific optimisations in the codebase for MIPS, but
  it should still work fine if compiled for that target with the PS2
  toolchain. Any patches are likely to have been as noted by the
  Tremor page:
  "the main branch will probably give very good performance if CPU
  optimized fixed point multiply and complex multiply functions are
  added."

  SJPCM is a bit tricker to find, but is described by this:
  http://lukasz.dk/playstation-2-programming/an-introduction-to-ps2dev/

  I was able to locate the independent version of it from here:
  https://github.com/AzagraMac/PS2_SDK/tree/master/isjpcm

  This should be sufficient for you to be able to setup your own
  toolchain and compile the code if you are familar with cross
  compilation under Linux.

  Hopefully the PS2 porter can provide the exact patches and code
  at some point soon.
Thanks,
David Turner