[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM License

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Mon Feb 1 13:25:26 CET 2016

Another benefit of GPLv3 we saw in recent discussions (related to the
licensing FAQ wiki page) is that, if I remember correctly, it clarifies the
legal status of providing source code on a web site (as opposed to a
physical media) for companies using ScummVM to sell commercial games and
not providing the source code in the game package.

That being said I don't really know yet what to think about the main
drawback you mention (GPLv2 project wanting to use part of the ScummVM
code). My initial thought was that it looks like a serious drawback. Is
dual licensing (or part or all) of the code base a possibility? Can it be
decided at a laterstage after the license upgrading (I assume that if
code becomes licensed under GPLv3+, adding back GPLv2 might be an issue)?