[Scummvm-devel] Android port (was: Re: Proposed 1.8.0 release schedule)

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Mon Feb 1 14:25:43 CET 2016

Splitting out from the main tree as we're going off-topic :)

On 1 February 2016 at 14:11, Alyssa Milburn <fuzzie at fuzzie.org> wrote:

> (I also have a branch where I hacked in shader support, but I
> think writing that properly based on LordHoto's current refactoring makes
> more sense.)

Yep, makes sense. I think I started my GLSL support precisely from your
branch...

The GUI is the real problem for the Android port though - it's very
> touch-unfriendly, it's too small, and ideally we want a bunch of Android
> specific settings which are painful to fit into the current GUI system. Do
> we hate the idea of refactoring things so that we can just write a 'native'
> GUI for the launcher?

Nothing prevents you from doing it even now. GUI is essentially same
OSystem user as any engine is. Just launch relevant engine plugins once the
user selected their game, it's easy and straighforward.

We used to even have a port with fully custom launcher. That was PalmOS
port. The drawback of it is that you have to support your custom launcher.

We had a GSoC task to make the GUI touch-friendly, and also we may refer to
what is done with DotEmu releases (which come from iPhSoft/MojoTouch). I
was involved in creating some of that code and plan to bring pieces of it
soon: transparent PNGs, 9-patch images, event-based animations.

Eugene