[Scummvm-devel] GSoC application

Arnaud Boutonné strangerke at scummvm.org
Thu Feb 18 07:22:07 CET 2016

To answer to Tobia's remarks

2 years ago, we decided to make for the first time a proposal for
ResidualVM, with ScummVM vouching their application. Google failed
ResidualVM's proposal, and asked us to turn ScummVM into a GSoC umbrella
and take them on our side. We did that, and it worked really well.

Last year, at Fosdem, I talked to Googlers who said it was the good way to
proceed and ... we were failed nevertheless, but our application and
structure wasn't pointed as a reason of this failure.

This year, we talked again to Googlers at Fosdem, and they encouraged us to
keep working in the same direction, and to be ambitious in order to be
outstanding.
What we are proposing this year is a wider umbrella (with a small growth,
under control), which is something that Google encourages. We are also
proposing a coherent growth, involving some team members.
And finally we could be proposing to students nothing less than being at
the origin of something different, which could be helpful to keep them in
the community afterwards.

All in all, with that approach, I think this would increase our chances to
be accepted.

Best regards,
Arnaud