[Scummvm-devel] License FAQ draft

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Fri Jan 1 20:13:56 CET 2016

For the COPYRIGHT, I am afraid I cannot help. In my initial draft there was a question mark because I was not sure myself if that was true or not (I think I have been told that a few times, but could not find anything to definitely back it - my reading of the license indicated this needed to be provided with the source code, but not necessarily with the executable).

For the source code link, your ref [1] indeed indicate this is a bit of a grey area that is clarified in GPL v3, but also says "the community has historically considered [this practice] GPLv2-compliant.” (based on [2]’s § 3 (b) and the last paragraph in 3). My initial draft was based on that. But I agree that this point is questionable.
And this of course only applies to the cases where the executable is distributed on the internet and not on a physical media (I didn’t mention that because I wanted to keep it simple and physical distribution of games is quite rare now).

Thierry