[Scummvm-devel] Dropping Windows 9x/ME support

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sun Mar 6 12:08:18 CET 2016

On 5 March 2016 at 23:48, Travis Howell <kirben at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Only for release builds, and only if no major code changes are required
> for continued Windows 9x/ME support. I would have to provide the
> additional build, as I doubt buildbot has the disk space for another
> large tool chain.

We have 2 buildbots now (another one is in preps), and that another one has
twice disk space that our main one. Thus, if it is possibble to set up a
chain, that would be lovely.

I don't think this will be viable in the long term though, since ScummVM
> will move to SDL2 in the future, which completely lacks any support for
> Windows 9x/ME.

We are discussing switching to SDL2 as primary backend, but there are no
plans to drop SDL1 support, thus some ports like Win9x/ME, could still use
SDL1.

Can we now try to do the following:

As I understand it is matter of toolchain, so we mark current build as
Win95/ME+, then create another build with the new toolchain, and name it
scummvm-1.8.0a, and mark is as WinXP+. By doing this now we could start
gathering statistics on downloads already now, and by 1.9.0 make an
informed decision.

Eugene