[Scummvm-devel] ATTN Porters: SaveFileManager API Adjustments

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Tue Mar 22 22:31:09 CET 2016

Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com> writes:

> Hm 409ms for a listSavefiles sounds quite a lot already. How feasible
> would be to silently auto convert all previous saved games to all
> lowercase and simply write new ones as all lowercase?

It's an interresting proposal, but I forsee two problems:

#1:  How to find the files that need to be converted if they don't
     happen to be matched by a call to listSavegames?  You mentioned
     engines which take savegame filenames from game data (this is
     the only case where I think this might actually be useful on
     the Dreamcast), but in that case I assume they just use these
     names speculatively without searching for the files first?

#2:  Unfortunatly there is no rename functionality in the library, so
     converting would amount to deleting the old file and creating a
     new one with the desired filename.  While this only needs to be
     done once, it will take some time and the user might get confused
     why ScummVM starts saving (as indicated by beeping) to the memory
     card when brining up the load game dialog...

  // Marcus