[Scummvm-devel] Commit guidelines - how to specify fixed bug numbers?

Tarek Soliman tsoliman at scummvm.org
Thu Mar 24 04:51:15 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 03:18:45PM +0100, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> I usually write it in this way:
>
>   COMMIT: Do something useful. Fixes bug #123: "ScummVM is not doing
> anything useful"
>
> Thus, I have both the commit id and the message. If it doesn't fit in 80
> characters, then the commit info goes into the extras

My 2 cents is that I try to follow the "50/69/72 rule" instead of the
"80 rule":

I try to stay under 50 characters on the first line* (69 is my max**)
Then if I need to add extra, I add a blank line followed by text wrapped at 72
characters

This is a guideline and not a "rule" as such.
It is mostly based on Github's UI and has sort of become a defacto standard in
Github repos.

* Github's UI warns when you go over 50 (when using the website to create a
  commit)

** Github's commit summary views hide anything over 69 in an expandable
   section usually reserved for the extended description
--
Tarek