[Scummvm-devel] Retirement & Goodbye

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon May 23 23:07:20 CEST 2016

Hey guys,

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that with this mail, I
retire from my core team position. In addition, I will take an
indefinite break on any work on ScummVM. I might be back in the future,
I might not.

I only want to briefly talk about my reasons to leave. In the recent
past, I found that ScummVM has become a burden to me. I don't get the
same joy from working on ScummVM as I used to. As many of you know I
considered retiring many times before. But this time there is a major
factor which I realized only recently: I am far too emotionally involved
in ScummVM. I feel too much responsibility for too many pieces of
ScummVM to the point where it drags me down so much that I lose any
motivation to work on it. This has passed the point where it is healthy
and I need to let go. Sadly the only way I can manage to achieve this is
by saying goodbye.

I want to thank every one of you for your great work on this awesome
project. It has been a wild ride and so much fun for the most of it. But
there is a time to say goodbye before you taint your memory of it.

I considered to be more elaborate on my feelings and reasons to leave,
but instead I would like to point back to Max's retirement mail from
22.06.2011. I find myself in the same situation as Max described for too
many points he made. I think his mail is still an excellent starting
point for improving the project. There are a lot of points where ScummVM
made progress. But ScummVM can be even better if everyone involved can
take a step back and think on how it can be improved in these aspects. I
hope ScummVM lives long and prospers.

Good luck guys. I hope everyone will have the same fun with the project
as I had.

// Johannes

PS: I will unsubscribe from this mailing list after I sent this mail. I
will be still reachable via mail, if anybody wants to talk. But I would
kindly ask you not to start a conversation about ScummVM work or trying
to change my mind. Thank you in advance.