[Scummvm-devel] Retirement & Goodbye

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:51:55 CEST 2016

Really sad to see you go, Johannes :(

It's understandable that you want to move on, and it is a big loss for
ScummVM. You were always a mentor, and your programming knowledge and
contributions will be missed.

On a brighter tone, I would like to say congratulations for your degree,
and I wish you all the best with your future endeavors :)

And, of course, you're always welcome to drop by at any time, for chatting
or a line or two of code :)

Goodbye, and all the best!

Warm regards
Filippos

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I would like to take this opportunity to announce that with this mail, I
> retire from my core team position. In addition, I will take an
> indefinite break on any work on ScummVM. I might be back in the future,
> I might not.
>
> I only want to briefly talk about my reasons to leave. In the recent
> past, I found that ScummVM has become a burden to me. I don't get the
> same joy from working on ScummVM as I used to. As many of you know I
> considered retiring many times before. But this time there is a major
> factor which I realized only recently: I am far too emotionally involved
> in ScummVM. I feel too much responsibility for too many pieces of
> ScummVM to the point where it drags me down so much that I lose any
> motivation to work on it. This has passed the point where it is healthy
> and I need to let go. Sadly the only way I can manage to achieve this is
> by saying goodbye.
>
> I want to thank every one of you for your great work on this awesome
> project. It has been a wild ride and so much fun for the most of it. But
> there is a time to say goodbye before you taint your memory of it.
>
> I considered to be more elaborate on my feelings and reasons to leave,
> but instead I would like to point back to Max's retirement mail from
> 22.06.2011. I find myself in the same situation as Max described for too
> many points he made. I think his mail is still an excellent starting
> point for improving the project. There are a lot of points where ScummVM
> made progress. But ScummVM can be even better if everyone involved can
> take a step back and think on how it can be improved in these aspects. I
> hope ScummVM lives long and prospers.
>
> Good luck guys. I hope everyone will have the same fun with the project
> as I had.
>
> // Johannes
>
> PS: I will unsubscribe from this mailing list after I sent this mail. I
> will be still reachable via mail, if anybody wants to talk. But I would
> kindly ask you not to start a conversation about ScummVM work or trying
> to change my mind. Thank you in advance.

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde