[Scummvm-devel] The new Buildbot: what’s happening, what needs to happen

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Dec 26 04:00:33 CET 2017

On 23/12/2017 12:27 PM, Colin Snover wrote:
> On 2017-12-21 16:42, Travis Howell wrote:
>> The Windows port of ScummVM 2.0.0 was more risk this time around,
>> due to testing been based only off my Windows snapshots, and the
>> final release version been based off an updated Buildbot, that had
>> no outside testing. Hopefully that use of multiple compilation
>> environments will never be required again.
>
> I agree that the Windows release during this cycle was riskier than
> it should have been. If I understand what you are saying, it sounds
> like we both understand the value of ensuring that these Buildbot
> environments are authoritative, so that the daily builds that our
> users are actually running and testing with are identical to
> whatever eventually becomes the final release. I too believe that it
> does no good for us to be delivering broken (as with Buildbot’s SDL1
> on Windows 10) builds for testing.
>
> Did you have any additional outstanding concerns that require
> additional clarification? With this additional information, do you
> feel like it makes sense to require these images to exist for all of
> our official ports going forward, so that this build guarantee
> exists for all ports we support in future?

No, no other concerns about the new Buildbot system at the moment.
Yes, it makes sense to require these images to exist for every port of
ScummVM, where possible to emulate that platform. I just hope these
images can be kept maintained in the long term.

If the new Buildbot system goes ahead, I will retire my Windows
snapshots, when it is finished. To focus the Windows testing side on one
build environment, and since the snapshots will be much more frequent.