[Scummvm-devel] Proposed schedule for 1.10.0

Colin Snover scummvm-devel at zetafleet.com
Wed Nov 8 00:12:45 CET 2017

Hi,

It has been a while since a release so I would lean slightly toward the
faster schedule. Dafioram has already done a lot of testing, and as a
result, things seem like they are in a good place. Porters may need a
little more time than usual to fix up their GraphicsManager
implementations since that API was changed for this release, though I
don’t know if that needs to impact the schedule (I already emailed about
this a while ago, so it’s hopefully not news to anyone).

I would like to get optimised builds in the hands of others to verify
whether anything more needs to be done for
<https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10248> (this is one of the reasons I
have been working on Buildbot lately). Testing locally I think that
normal compiler optimisations solve the problem, and it would be nice to
have others verify this too. In any case it doesn’t block a release
since there are already mitigations in place (the configurable audio
buffer size) that end-users can apply if needed.

For the release process, I will assist on reviewing open tickets and
communicate on IRC about this to coordinate.

With regards to versioning, that’s a can of worms! Since ScummVM isn’t a
library that needs to communicate API compatibility, semver doesn’t
really apply here, so to me it would seem appropriate to use some other
versioning system like year.month, or just major.patch, for simplicity.
But I have no strong opinion in any case, so would encourage anyone that
has a stronger opinion to say why.

Best,

On 2017-11-07 01:22, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Now, both SCI3 and Starship Titanic bugfixing is mainly over, thus I'd
> like to propose to launch the 1.10.0. Maybe we should call it 2.0.0?
>
> I am not sure we can get enough testers at this time, but I'm leaving
> it open, and propose two schedules: with and without the extensive
> testing period.
>
> With testing:
>
> November 12: Release cycle starts, testing announced, list of bugs
> published. Trunk is frozen
> November 19: branch, trunk unfrozen, porters contacted
> December 8, Fri: tagging, tarballs uploaded, porters start submitting
> their builds
> December 17: Release
>
> Without testing:
>
> November 12: branch, list of critical bugs published, porters contacted
> November 24, Fri: tagging, tarballs uploaded, porters start submitting
> their builds
> December 3: Release
>
> Which schedule to choose? If we chose without testing, then I
> anticipate 1.10.1 (2.0.1?) in mid-January and perhaps .2 in
> February/March.
>
> What about the version number? Should we switch to 2.0.0 since all
> SCUMM and SCI games are supported?
>

> Eugene

Colin Snover
https://zetafleet.com