[Scummvm-devel] DGDS (Dynamix Game Development System)

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 12:45:46 CEST 2017

Hello Vasco, and thanks for your interest in ScummVM!

Reading the game file data from the resource containers is straightforward,
however the game data itself is a bit harder. The image files for example
have a peculiar encoding scheme, and is different from the newer Dynamix
games, which have easier to understand resource files. Any help is
certainly welcome!

We have a WIP engine for DGDS, but it's still in very (very) early stages.
I have a second attempt locally, which is a different approach to the
public WIP engine, and IMHO a bit cleaner. It still is a glorified resource
container handler, like the current public WIP engine.

If you're interested, I've uploaded the second version here:
https://github.com/bluegr/scummvm-dgds

I'd be glad to help in any way I can :)

Regards

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa <
vasco.costa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
> I have been interested in DGDS engine support in ScummVM for some
> time. So I could play Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon.
>
> I have read all the information about the Rise of the Dragon game I
> could find online to decode the files. You can find a summary of the
> info which I scrounged together so far here:
> https://github.com/vcosta/scummvm/wiki
>
> I know there's a DGDS port which was started already for ScummVM. It
> seems to have some basic file archive support. Also some font support
> I think. But it probably needs to be ported to the latest codebase. I
> was also thinking of adding image and text loading support.
>
> The game interpreter proper is still beyond me at this point.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa
> PhD in Computer Engineering (Computer Graphics)
> Instituto Superior Técnico/University of Lisbon, Portugal

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde