[Scummvm-devel] Hello there!

Adrian Frühwirth scummvm-devel at bonki.net
Thu Feb 1 21:57:49 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

I was kindly invited to join the team so here comes the obligatory introduction mail :-)

I'm not much of a gamer (not in the modern sense of the word anyway) but I basically grew up on point'n'click adventures in the goode olde days(tm) and believe that ScummVM is one of the best open source projects out there so, first of all, I would like to express my huge thanks to all of you, active and retired devs alike, who have put so much time and effort into making this truly incredible product.

As a user, I have run ScummVM since the early days (probably around 2002-ish) and ported it to QNX in 2004-ish (if I recall correctly there used to be an official QNX Neutrino port later at some point but I see no mention of it in the wiki so either my memory serves me wrong or it's very dead).
I recently picked up my copy of Bud Tucker and noticed some annoying bugs which I knew had already been present the last time I played the game in ScummVM years ago so I checked the bug tracker and learned that cyx had retired from the project long ago. Given the (non-)popularity of the game the engine has since been de facto unmaintained with less than a handful of commits during the last couple of years and quite a few reported (as well as unreported) bugs just sitting there waiting to be fixed, so I started with some low-hanging fruits.
For now, I will continue working on TUCKER and try to fix all remaining bugs and refactor/document things to make the code more maintainable.
I see that there are other engine bug reports/tickets which haven't gotten any attention for years and I would like to look into these as well eventually.
The wiki is another area where I would like to contribute and if desired I'll also gladly help with infrastructure-related stuff.

I'm very much looking forward to being a part of this family and getting to know as well as learn a lot from all of you.
Thank you for having me and feel free to drop me (bonki) a message on IRC!

-Adrian