[Scummvm-devel] GSoC in 2018?

Eugene Sandulenko sev.mail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:08:48 CET 2018

OKAY. I'll do it.

On 17 January 2018 at 18:58, Colin Snover <scummvm-devel at zetafleet.com>
wrote:

> Unfortunately, I still do not see the answers to the specific questions I
> asked about the way ScummVM’s GSoC operates. Those questions are again:
>
> * What is the way in which work units are allocated?

..prepare a *comprehensive and detailed plan for all 12 weeks of your
project*. Include risk mitigation (you might fall ill, a phase in your
project be more complicated than anticipated, etc.) and any existing
commitments such as exams, vacations etc.

   - *This plan will help you and us to decide at any time during the
   project how well you are progressing. It forces you to think about what you
   need to do beforehand, and provides a guideline for you while GSoC is
   progressing.*

Create a timeline for the project

   - Again, we don't expect you to have a full-on, hour-by-hour break down.
   - We assume that the schedule *can* and *will* change as the project
   goes on.
   - That said, we want to make sure everything can fit into the GSoC
   timeline and that you think about how long things will take.

> * How and where is the work progress tracked?

... we ask you to *keep a weblog* (BLOG) with posts on a weekly or more
frequent basis detailing your progress and experiences with your
project/GSoC.

   - *This provides a valuable avenue for feedback and helps involvement of
   the wider community. It also helps you to sort your thoughts and determine
   your own progress. Note that the blogs will be aggregated onto ScummVM's
   Planet site <http://planet.scummvm.org/> so language and tone should be set
   accordingly.*

... we expect you to *commit early, commit often*.

   - *We judge students' code based on what is checked in and take the view
   that 'if it's not checked in it does not exist' for the purposes of GSoC
   reviews. Don't be shy about this. You may feel your code is not 'good
   enough', but the best way to learn whether it actually is good or not, and
   also to get valuable hints on how to improve it, is to show it to us. Trust
   us, we will give you constructive feedback and won't bash you for what you
   produce.*

> * What is the process for making adjustments to the scope of the work if
> it appears that the schedule is too aggressive and milestones are not being
> met?

... we require you to *communicate with your mentor* every second day. *Failing
to do so for more than three days without arrangement will cause you to be
dropped from the program.*

   - *Consider that GSoC is a full time obligation. If you don't show up on
   a regular job for three days in a row, without any prior notice or
   reporting in as ill, you also run a high risk of being fired. Now, this is
   not exactly a regular day job and you don't have to come into an office
   every day. But communication is absolutely essential to a successful GSoC
   project and experience has shown that students that do not check in with
   their mentors (and the wider community) tend to struggle and produce weaker
   outputs. In particular, if you feel you are behind your schedule or
   otherwise in troubles, talk to us as soon as possible. Do not hide from
   your mentor -- they are here to help you at all times. Finally, this
   obligation doesn't have to be a burden, but rather should be a fun
   opportunity to chat with a nice fellow coder about interesting topics.*

> * Is there a set criteria for a task to be considered completed
> successfully?

   1.
      - Using the skelton, create Milestones for the project. IE:
         - The engine can read .scr files
         - Create API for creating a hardware accelerated texture
         - The engine can move the character
      - This is makes sure we all understand the complexities of the project
   2. Create a timeline for the project
      - Again, we don't expect you to have a full-on, hour-by-hour break
      down.
      - We assume that the schedule *can* and *will* change as the project
      goes on.
      - That said, we want to make sure everything can fit into the GSoC
      timeline and that you think about how long things will take.

> Since I am still not seeing what you are seeing, could you please help me
> and cut and paste the specific text from the project rules which answers
> each of these questions in a response to this email?

I did that, hope it is clearer now.

Eugene