[Scummvm-devel] architecture for multiple version interpreters?

David Given dg at tao-group.com
Wed Nov 7 04:39:17 CET 2001

[...]
> The current scummvm implementation seems to support version 5 and 6.
>
> I was wondering what ideas there currently are to also be able to run
> version 3: Loom (disk), Indiana Jones and The last crusade and version 7:
> Sam & Max CD version, Full Throttle and The Dig.
>
> Especially some kind of 'architecture' that allows for generic code (if any)
> to be executed along side with specific (scumm version) vm code.
>
> (this probably includes also file format support - *.LFL, DISK??.LEC,
> FT.LA0/1, DIG.LA0/1, *.BUN, etc)

I've been poking through the code and there is support for one-room-per-file
SCUMM resources, which I think is what _Loom_ used. Unfortunately I don't have
a copy of _Loom_ to try it on. There aren't any references to LEC files.

BTW, is the author here? Where did you get the SCUMM specifications? The
code appears to be remarkably complete; I wouldn't have thought that you could
get that far from just examining the (rather few) published games. Did you
do any disassembly of LucasArts' interpreters?

The reason I ask is that I want to write a SCUMM disassembler. Your classes
make accessing the resources fairly easy, but working out what's in them is
less so... for example, I haven't been able to make any sense of script
resources. (I can disassemble the bytecode but it's gibberish.) Is there any
documentation as to headers or encodings or such like? Currently I'm working
from the source.

--
+- David Given --------McQ-+ "You'll have to excuse me. There are five things I
+- http://www.cowlark.com -+