[Scummvm-devel] Resource problems

David Given dg at tao-group.com
Tue Nov 20 09:56:07 CET 2001

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 17:41, you wrote:
> David Given wrote:
> > I've been fiddling with ScummVM, with a view to writing a program
> > (current name: Skim) that will take a SCUMM resource file and decompile
> > it into all its individual resources, and then reassemble the pieces.
> > This would make it easy to modify a game. Eventually I hope it might be
> > possible to compile new SCUMM games from scratch.
>
> Maybe it's a good idea to pickup the task of writing the resource format
> specification (care to do it together with me?). Anyone else interested?

I've been vaguely thinking of writing a copiously commented C++ resource
management library that will read and write SCUMM files. The thing is, I
don't want to duplicate effort, but the ScummVM resource management code is
so tightly linked in to the rest of ScummVM that it's difficult to use in
other programs.

I was vaguely intending this library to be the documentation of the format,
but you're right, it's better to spec it out seperately.

I refer interested parties to the Z-machine Standards Document:

	http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/zspec/

This is exactly the same thing, but for Infocom's Z virtual machine (used in
text adventures). It's a masterpiece of computer archaeology. This is the
definitive resource for anyone working on the Z-machine.

So, who wants to work on the SCUMM Standards Document?

--
+- David Given --------McQ-+
+- http://www.cowlark.com -+