[Scummvm-devel] Resource problems

Jeroen Janssen japj at darius.demon.nl
Tue Nov 20 11:31:04 CET 2001

David Given wrote:

>>we should probably start with a dictionary (what do we mean with 'resource'
>>format/chunk format/etc)
>>

> Indeed.
>
> ...what's the difference between a resource and a chunk?

ah.. depends on how you formulate/define it... but whatever it's called we better make sure we all know what we mean :)

1) you have .lfl, .lec, .000, .001, .la0, .la1, etc files (I call them resource files - but that's what we need to agree upon)
2) very old .lfl files don't have any 'easy understandable' format. somewhere along the line of monkey island 1 they 'started' with a chunk based format. there are several 'chunk
formats': repeated <SIZE_LE><ID2><DATA>, repeated <ID4><SIZE_BE><DATA>
3) chunks have an ID (ie LFLF, LOFF, ROOM, RO, BX, etc). for the room/costumes chunks it could be that some games have the 'same' format, despite different IDs (a RO/ROOM from
MI1/MI2 could have the same format - I don't know)
4) chunk formats evolve (RO, ROOM), (CO, COST, AKOS, etc)
5) etc..

does anyone have a preference what (tool) we use for generating documentation (I think it would at least have to be able to produce html/pdf files)
--
Jeroen Janssen