[Scummvm-devel] Re: [Scummvm-cvs-logs] CVS: scummvm/scumm scummvm.cpp,1.99,1.100 scumm.h,1.84,1.85

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Dec 17 01:28:04 CET 2002

At 18:31 Uhr -0600 16.12.2002, J.Brown (Ender) wrote:
>  > Endy, when I am gonna meet you, I'll have to kick, punch and bite you a
>>  bit for
>
>>  using the same name for two entierly different classes, then
>
>Read the channel logs, this is done quite deliberatly and for a VERY
>specific reason.
>
>>  adding new files (and at the same time not removing obsolete files), and
>
>Read the channel logs, this is done quite deliberatly and for a VERY
>specific reason.
>
>>  finally using the WRONG BLOODY HEADER. I spent an hour to track this one
>>  down
>
>Oops? We all make mistakes, mister "null the pointer than call a member
>function on it" :o)

Hey, you should read all commit logs, also the next one, before being angry :-)

And I still disagree with the reasons to keep the class name. I had a
good reason why I called NewGUI NewGUI back then, too. Even though
for me it may have been much more convenient to call it Gui and have
it live parallel to the old GUI. IT allowed for a smooth transition.
That could have been done here, too: one could have left Ctrl-D
trigger the old debugger, and # / ~ the new debugger, if one had
choosen a different name for the new debugger. Would have been really
easy and much convenient than letting unused files stick around in
CVS (BTW the point behind CVS is besides other things is that you can
easily get back removed files. So there is really no good reason to
let debug.h etc. in there, if somebody needs them, it's a single CVS
command to get them).