[Scummvm-devel] Re: 16 bit graphics: Thoughts on how to implement it

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Jul 24 10:12:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 17:34, Max Horn wrote:
[...]
> don't forget that almost all commercial games (and many great Mac
> shareware & freeware games, can't speak for other platforms) have
> their  own in-game GUI.

Hmm.

Personally, I tend to loathe these in-game GUIs. They're not intuitive,
they tend not to work very well, they don't take advantage of the
hardware (tiny little scroll panes, for example), they don't</rant>

[...]
> The obvious advantage of having our own GUI is that it will
> immediatly be available on all platforms that we support. It will
> have to be implemented only once, and bugs have to be fixed once.
> Nobody has to worry that the GUI keeps in sync with the rest of
> ScummVM since it is integral part of ScummVM.

...at the expense of a considerable increase in complexity.

[...]
> At least in my eyes, the advantages of having our own GUI far
> outweigh its disadvantages or the advantages of a native GUI.

Oh, well. Since I'm not actually writing any code, I can hardly complain
too much, can I? So I shall just agree to disagree.

(BTW, at one stage I had a look at doing a backend for intent, but the
backend API seems to be rather complicated and is also very
undocumented. Any suggestions?)

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Why should we put ourselves out of our way to
+- www.cowlark.com --+