[Scummvm-devel] Question about the overloading of 'free / alloc / realloc / ...'

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Wed May 1 05:40:09 CEST 2002

Hi all,

Is there any real need to overload all the standard memory operators in the
Scumm class ?

I think tools like Valgrind or Purify are better anyway than the (poor)
protection the simple check done by our overloaded 'free'. Plus it then
makes VERY difficult interactions between classes (for example a piece of
memory allocated in Scumm and freed in any other class, which is the case
now for the sound buffers which are freed by the SoundMixer class).

So anyone would object me deleting all the memory stuff in sys.cpp and
replacing all the calls to this by standard ANSI C equivalents ?

If people object, the REAL way would be to have all Scumm objects inherit
from a standard System class to then share the same implementations of these
functions.

                        Lionel

PS: yeah, for once, we post on the mailing list instead of discussin on IRC
    :-)

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/