[Scummvm-devel] Launcher dialog: requires more changes to OSystem

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Sep 20 17:10:04 CEST 2002

Yo folks,

we are continously getting closer to our launcher dialog!  For those
who don't know what that is: it's the in-game GUI that will be
displayed when you fire up ScummVM w/o specifing a game. It will
display a list of games, you can choose one and run. Later you will
also be able to speciy settings (path to game data, for example), and
we'll display a nice ScummVM logo etc.

Here's a list of things that we have to do towards that goal:

* get rid of all remaining Scumm references in NewGUI:
   - make NewGUI use its own event loop
     (that will also fix the problem with the GUI during Smush movies)
   - add an abstraction for sound pausing?
     (not really necessary, we could just pause sound before we enter the GUI,
      then afterwards unpause...)
   - add getWidth() / getHeight() accessors to OSystem

* deal with 555 vs. 565 support.
   This really is an issue, e.g. on my system it's by default in 565
mode - unless I run in fullscreen when it is 555. So maybe we can add
another accesor to OSystem that returns which mode the overlay is in,
then NewGUI can work accoringly...

* when the laucnher dialog comes up, we don't know yet which game we
are going to run. Thus we don't know yet whether we have to init
graphics to 320x200 or 320x240 (and maybe in the future, we even have
to support 640x480 for CMI). Thus, it seems we need a way to resize
the graphics display afterwards. This is not possible with the
current backend. We could either add another API, or we simply change
the init_size() in all backends so that it can be called multiple
times...

* add an message/error/warning dialog that we can use to display
messages/errors/warnings to the user in a GUI fashion

* add a text edit widget

* (optionally) implement a file browser dialog for comfortable path
selections <g> But maybe here it would be better to use the native
file selector dialogs, by adding a get_file_via_selector() method to
OSystem...

Max Horn
Software Developer

email: <mailto:max at quendi.de>