[Scummvm-devel] Unifiying MP3/Vorbis playback code some more

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Dec 1 20:16:35 CET 2003

Am Montag, 01.12.03 um 22:05 Uhr schrieb Joost Peters:

> Hi,
>
> in queen, the audio (wether compressed or not) resides in the same
> file as the rest of the gamedata and you look up the offset to files
> (sound or otherwise) in a lookup table by their name.
>
> Going by what I read in this mail, I don't think it would integrate
> nicely/cleanly with the proposed unification. Since, unless I don't
> understand correctly, we'd need to either have a seperate file for
> sfx/speech for queen (need to (re)generate 2 files + indices, instead
> of just 1 we do now)...or extend the API with some *very* specific
> queen code, but I think this defeats the purpose.
> IMO, it's not worth the effort to mangle queen for this.
> besides, it's trivial to extend the sound code in queen to support new
> formats in the event that we should ever want to support another
> format (I don't see this happen very often anyway)
>
> And as for sky.. I am not 100% sure, but I think the sounds are
> already 'sorta compressed' with RNC. I don't think implementing
> mp3/ogg support for it is going to yield enough decrease in size to be
> worth the effort, especially considering the game is not that big to
> begin with.
>
> Don't get me wrong; I think the unification is a good idea for
> SCUMM/Simon (possibly BS2), but I don't see queen/sky benefitting from
> it.

Perfectly fine by me. This was actually what I expected from my
(limited) understanding of the queen/sky/sword2 code (i.e. I looked at
the MP3 code and came to a conclusion similar to what you now
explained, thanks for that).

The unification might also help future (hypothetical) game engines.
This is also part of the my motivation to separate the Audio CD
(emulation) code out of scumm.