[Scummvm-devel] Stutter in COMI smush videos

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Jan 23 06:38:05 CET 2003

Yo,

at least on my system, COMI videos stutter extremly now.

ScummVM only takes 20-30% of my CPU while playing the opening video
in COMI. That's not that much (I only have 400 Mhz anyway). And
profiler runs on OS X and Linux clearly show that decodeCodec is not
that slow either. So I doubt that "fixing" that will help the
situation.

The stutter seems to be more of the kind that occurs if you are not
properly double buffering your audio output, and then when for some
reason (disk I/O, bad luck in the scheduler time slicing, what ever)
you lack for a millisecond, bang, it stutters. The slower the
machine, the more likely for this to happen; likewise, slower HDs or
slower CD-Roms will increase the stutter.

So maybe we should look at the Mixer code, not the Smush audio
decoder. Or maybe the smush code is using the Mixer in a sub-optimal
way. I really don't know, I haven't yet looked at the code.