[Scummvm-devel] New release, same FMOPL

Arisme arisme at free.fr
Fri Jul 11 15:28:16 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Horn" <max at quendi.de>
To: "J.Brown (Ender)" <ender at scummvm.org>
Cc: "Jamieson Christian" <jamiesonc at tds.net>;
<scummvm-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Scummvm-devel] New release, same FMOPL

> There are definitely bugs in the old FMOPL code when it comes to
> accuracy. But since it is apparently to slow to run smoothly on iPaq
> (and DC?), we can revert it.

Actually it's too slow for the SPV Smartphone (~ 120 MHz) - my 200 MHz Ipaq
is happy with it. But there are a few 80 MHz Pocket PCs out there too :)

you're right, I just said it was (much) slower, not too slow :)

> Stutter in a sound callback drive playback
> engine does *not* mean the system is too slow to handle the load,
> rather it just means that the sound data generation takes longer than
> the max. allowable latency of the sound callback. Usually that
> "problem" is easily solved by using the producer-consumer thread
> pattern.

I understand how such a pattern can give me a fixed data rate, but I don't
understand how it may help me to generate the samples at a reasonable speed
(ie, have basically the same user experience than the regular desktop
version, which I almost obtain with the old code downsampled to 11 kHz +
quality hack).