[Scummvm-devel] Getting ready to release 0.4.0

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun May 11 05:03:01 CEST 2003

Yo folks,

today we want to release 0.4.0. As such, I just updated various files
in the 0.4.0 branch to read "0.4.0" as their version etc.

I would like to ask all porters to perform the same changes for their
port specific files. None of you reported any problems in the previous
week. Hence I assume that everything is ready for the release.

I plan to tag the branch for the release in a couple hours (let's see,
it is 2 PM here now, I'd like to do it in 6 hours, roughly). It would
be nice if all files would be ready for release. If you don't think you
can do that in this time, please email me. Note. when I say get all
ready, I mean source wise; binaries will only be made *after* that
point, so if you can't do that today, don't worry.

The plan then would be that once the release is tagged as
"release_040", I will prepare a tarball of it. Porters should create
release binaries in a form appropriate for their platform, based on the
source of *exactly* that CVS tag. As such it is vital that all
platforms are up-to-date before the tag. Minor changes could still be
incorporated into the tag, but I would prefer to keep that as minimal
as possible (preferably not do it at all).

Filenames: I plan to make source tarballs with these names following
the name scheme adopted my 95% of open source projects:
   scummvm-0.4.0.tar.gz
   scummvm-0.4.0.tar.bz2
Your binary filenames should be of the pattern
scummvm-0.4.0-PLATFORM.EXT, e.g. the Mac OS X binary would be
scummvm-0.4.0-macosx.dmg, and the MorphOS probably would be
scummvm-0.4.0-morphos.tar.bz2. That's meant to make it easy to pick out
which file is good for what. If you are not sure about the filenames
for your platform, don't hesitate to ask :-)

DO NOT SEND THE BINARIES TO ME! Rather, wait till my next email which
will come after we actually tagged CVS. I'll explain what to do with
the binaries then.

One more thing: If you wonder whether to enable MP3 and/or OGG vorbis
support: Ideally, enables as much as possible (i.e. both). In the case
of the Mac OS X binary, I will do that, and both will be static linked
- that is, no additional packages have to be installed by the user.  If
that's possible on your platform, you may consider doing the same.
Additional dependencies are always an annoying hurdle for end users,
and IMHO should be avoided.