[Scummvm-devel] Joystick code

Jonathan Gray khalek at linuxgamers.net
Wed Sep 10 03:59:18 CEST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Max Horn wrote:

<snip nice sounding event comments>

> by special "IDLE" events... all this is still pretty rough, before I
> want to tackle it I'd rather move along with the plugin/module work I
> started recently :-)

Before you get to far on this, I wonder if you've considered having the
non engine things as a library and looking at things the other way
around...

This makes quite a bit of sense logicaly but I guess like anything it has
its pros and cons.

With such a scheme the difference between the engines and the common code
would be even more clearly defined, and maybe seperate engines could get
their own cvs module so people don't have to pull massive amounts of
changes for all of the engines.

I guess the only benefit having a controlling program calling the engines
as libraries is that the user interacts with a single binary.  I think
this advantage may be most beneficial on say dreamcast where it may not be
possible to select multiple binaries without having different discs?

Anyway having the common code as a library also allows things like engines
/ common code to have releases seperate if need be.  So RC bug in engine X
isn't holding up however many engines there are (in the near future there
may be many as scumm, simon, bass, sword2, sword1, fotaq, saga etc) so
I think this will become more of an issue over time.

Also other projects would be able to more easily use the common code if
they so wished.

thoughts?

/me returns to working on large essay