[Scummvm-devel] different default savepath for *nix

Jonathan Gray khalek at linuxgamers.net
Mon Apr 19 01:26:13 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 10:31, James 'Ender' Brown wrote:

> > > It seems to fit the way other unices handle things. They have the
> > > tendency of splitting packages over a zillion locations over the
> > > filesystem. Never liked it, but it's the way things are done over
> > > there, so it would seem logical :-)
>
> I object for now. Putting things in ~/.scummvm is completely sensible,
> but I object for the same reason that we have not done this in the past:
> 	A) Causes disparity between ports (obviously, we know that :)

This is unavoidable.  Things like not using the same buttons to quit,
config file locations, using different file dialogs etc already exist
(ie as much as I keep pressing it command Q doesn't quit on my iBook
under Linux :).  There is a line we have to walk between consistency
within ScummVM and consistency with other applications on the operating
system.  This luckily isn't so much of an issue as games get to cheat in
consistency stakes for the most part.

I think most people agree this is something that should be done for non
Mac OS X unices anyway.

> 	B) Will cause user confusion when their saves vanish

They won't vanish, remember this is only for the default path.  I expect
most people would specify a savepath on *nix.  For example I normally
run scummvm from one of a selection of terminals that could be in a
large number of different directories, I would become even less sane
were I not to have a savepath specified.  In any event this behaviour
will be documented in the changelog and readme should it be implemented
and will happen for the next major release (ie 0.7.0)

regards
Jonathan