[Scummvm-devel] Release plans, once again

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.net
Fri Aug 20 02:15:13 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 15:07, James 'Ender' Brown wrote:
> I've been meaning to write this e-mail all week. I'll reply shortly.
>
> But just to save somebody else having to say it:
>
> > - Support for reading from the whole game in compressed zip file or ISO image. This would make it a lot easier to use the original the CD (as they appear as an ISO on /dev/<bla>) or images of the CD.
>
> This feature is NEVER going to be implemented due to piracy, among other
> things. This was decided fairly early on in ScummVMs development and
> won't change for the foreseeable future :)

How is it less or more piracy then accessing the files locally?

This definitely ties in with the CD changing idea. Under Linux I can
just mount the ISO (or CD's) but with the current ScummVM I can't change
disks (as files are open on the mount point). If this could be fixed
then I guess there is not a lot of need either. (Plenty of programs for
mounting ISO's under windows two - but the same problem applies.)

It also doesn't really solve the Broken Sword problem because they need
the new encoded pictures which aren't on the CD anyway.

The idea for a compressed zip file is just an easier way to deal with
the disk based games which have lots of files. Much easier to use and
take up less space.

I'm more interested in making it easier to use my legitimate game CDs
and easier to look after the disked based games (as the disks are way to
fragile to use directly).

It's most probably a case of the "wrong solution" for the problem :)

--
Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.net>