[Scummvm-devel] Release plans, once again

Joost Peters joostp at scummvm.org
Sat Aug 21 15:47:10 CEST 2004

>> You wouldn't need to swap anything when you have ScummVM AND all your
>> games on the same cd-r (or just once if you have your games on a
>> seperate cd-r),
>
> True, provided that all your games can fit on a single CD.

I reckon this is why people want MP3 support?

> But as for "just once if you have your games on a seperate cd-r", how
> is this different from swapping once to the original disc?

It doesn't make it easier in terms of swapping - I never meant to imply
that - my point was that a single disc is more convenient than multiple
discs in terms of keeping track of.

>> nor would you do have to look for your original discs
>> and/or have them near your dreamcast whenever you want to play.
>
> Why are the original discs harder to find than the ScummVM disc?

Because my dreamcast is at the other end of the house?
I keep my originals near my PC, since that's where I use them most
often.
Wouldn't it be more convenient just keeping a disc with all games you
will run near your other dreamcast games and won't have to bother
getting and/or wearing down your originals?  I guess not. that's why
-almost- everyone does it.

>> Because, hey, original discs never get scratched/damaged due to
>> usage. Nope. Never.
>
> Not if you handle them properly.  Why would they?  Unlike a floppy
> disc of a LP record, the surface of a CD never touches anything when
> using them, so there is zero wear.

In a perfect world, yes.
But between taking it out of the case and inserting it in
whatever-drive, there's always the odd chance of it getting scratched
somewhere.
I like to think that I treat my original media with care,  yet my copy
of Sonic Adventure is so worn down by now that my dreamcast doesn't
even recognize the disc anymore.

Joost