[Scummvm-devel] Release plans, once again

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Mon Aug 23 15:35:12 CEST 2004

"Kevin Harris" <gopickyournose at hotmail.com> writes:

> (1) Make libcommon a shared library (.dylib or .so or whatever).  The
> main executable and all libraries can be linked against this.
> Unreferenced object removal will never be done on shared libraries.

Uh, I'd prefer not to have to implement real shared libraries...
It's messy++.

> (2) Make sure NONE of the shared libraries is linked against the
> common library (IIRC there may be issues to resolve on OSX, since the
> linker uses strong references instead of the usual weak-linking), and
> modify the way the executable is created.   You can extract all of the
> objects into a temporary directory, and link them all explicitly.  The
> linker won't perform any unused code removal if they are all specified
> on the link line.  Here's an example:

The downside of this is that if there are object which really are
ununsed, they would get included anyway.  Also, for memory efficiency
reasons, it would be better if an object which is used by some engines
and not by others (and not by the common code) was linked with those
plugins, to prevent it from being loaded in memory when using one of
the other plugins.

  // Marcus