[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM name

Jerome Fisher ml_scummvm-devel_sourceforge.net at kingguppy.com
Mon Dec 6 14:32:01 CET 2004

Pawel Kolodziejski wrote:

>>Are there any arguments against rename? I know it's a pain, some work
>>to do. But in any case we now are not only SCUMM engine, rather
>>AdventureVM (yes, I remember RAW engine :P). Why not change it to some
>>other, more correct acronym? ...and site redesign is at hand too...
>>

>I agree to rename it, and also to some funy name.
>
>Pawel

I'd personally like to see ScummVM renamed, but I'm new here. I'll just
summarise some of the arguments...

Against:

1) We'd lose the "brand name" recognition that ScummVM enjoys; a lot of
promotion would be necessary to change the name in many people's minds.
2) A fair bit of work would be involved in changing documentation, code
and graphics to reflect the new name.
3) The scummvm project on SF.net would need to be renamed.
4) New domains would need to be registered.
5) Choosing a new name which doesn't suck and doesn't conflict with
another product is difficult.

For:

1) The current name no longer reflects the goals or abilities of the
project, which is potentially confusing to users.
2) The current name isn't particularly clever or interesting.
3) SCUMM is a trademark.
4) A name change is exciting and the announcements may attract increased
attention, especially from people previously unaware that ScummVM is now
about much more than LucasArts games.

And some personal suggestions for a new name:

1) Alluminor (.net/.org/.com are free)
2) Limner (.net/.org are free)
3) Something involving "Narrator" (thenarrator.org is free)